Ensuring Research Compliance
The offices and committees of Regulatory Affairs make sure that university investigators achieve and maintain ethical practices and comply with federal, state and university regulations governing research.
Offices and committees include:
- Human Subjects: Institutional Review Boards (IRBs) regulate and monitor all university research on or involving human subjects.
- Animal Care & Use Committee: the Institutional Animal Care & Use Committee (IACUC) regulates and monitors all university research on or involving animal subjects.
- Institutional Biosafety: the Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) regulates and monitors all University research that involves recombinant DNA, infectious agents, and other biohazards.
- University Laboratory Animal Resources: the University Laboratory Animal Resources (ULAR) administers animal resources and provide biomedical research services to University Investigators and Educators.
- Environmental Health & Radiation Safety (EHRS) ensures the safe use of radioactive materials, radiation-producing equipment, chemicals and biological substances at Temple University and Hospital and affiliated institutions by identifying safety problems; initiating, recommending, or providing corrective actions; verifying implementation of corrective actions; and ensuring compliance with regulations and university policies for the use of hazardous substances.