It is well recognized that the arts play a unique role in the enhancement of quality of life. Access to the arts is even more critical for those whose quality of life is compromised by physical, mental, emotional, social, environmental and/or economic problems. In response, Arts at Your Side has been created as the community service initiative of the Boyer College of Music and Dance’s Arts and Quality of Life Research Center.
The purpose of Arts at Your Side is to provide specially designed arts experiences and arts engagement directly to residents of the Philadelphia region so that their lives may be positively influenced and their well-being improved. By utilizing the power of the arts to give voice to their human conditions, to accompany them through their struggles, to provide a creative outlet for their feelings, to provide stability in times of turmoil, to help them maintain their identities through crisis, and to soothe, heal, comfort and instill hope, Arts at Your Side provides an innovative service to those most greatly in need.
- Hear Our Voices: Songwriting with At-Risk Youth
- Playing Beyond Boundaries: A Model for Successful Orchestral Participation for Children with Paralysis
- Corazón: Music Therapy for Latino Women At Risk for Cardiovascular Disease
- Singing for Tomorrow: The Use of Songwriting as an Expressive Medium for Hospitalized Children with Spinal Cord Injury
- Music Therapy at Temple University Episcopal Hospital
- Hope/Esperanza and Music/Cope
- Choral Arts Program for HIV/AIDS Patients and Their Caregivers
The Center welcomes collaborations on outreach projects in line with its basic mission. Inquiries for collaborations can be directed to Dr. Cheryl Dileo, Director.