Accelerated 4+1 Program: Frequently Asked Questions
Questions About Applying and Admissions
- What GPA is required to participate in this program?
- The GPA requirement for this program is a minimum of a 3.5 cumulative GPA at Temple. This GPA requirement of a 3.5 or higher is a firm requirement mandated by the Graduate School. Students with a GPA close to, but not yet a 3.5, are encouraged to apply. Once spring grades are posted, the committee will review all applications of students who meet the 3.5 requirement.
- Do I have to apply for the program?
- Yes, students will need to apply for the program. Students will apply for the program during the summer between their sophomore and junior years.
- When is the application for the program due?
- Applications become available in spring of each academic year. Students are alerted to the specific 4+1 program application deadline via emails to their Temple University email account as well as announcements on the College of Education's Blackboard Undergraduate Community Site.
- How do I apply for this program?
- Students will apply for the program by completing the application posted on-line, submitting all required documents, and having successfully completed all required coursework at Temple.
- What happens after I apply and when do I hear back with an application decision?
- Once spring grades are posted, all applications are updated by the Director of Undergraduate Affairs and Student Services to reflect spring grades and cumulative GPA. The applications are then forwarded to a committee for review. Once decisions are made, students are sent a letter via US Post. The decision letter will be accompanied by a commitment letter for admitted students; this commitment letter must be mailed back to the College of Education for enrollment in the program to be finalized. Students are alerted in early summer.
- What if I am not accepted?
- Students remain eligible to apply for the Masters in Special Education upon the completion of their bachelor's degree.
- What are the application requirements?
- Successful completion of ECE 2101, 2105, 2106, 2108, ED 2103, and SPED 2231.
- Successfully completed 45 credit hours at Temple
- Student must graduate with their Bachelor’s degree in four years from their date of admissions.
- Please see the Application Requirements for a copy of the application an detailed instructions on how to apply.
- If I am attending school part-time can I still participate in this program?
- Part-time students are not eligible for this program as you must graduate with your undergraduate degree in 4 years from your matriculation date (first semester enrolled at Temple). However, part-time students may apply directly to the Masters in Special Education program upon completion of their undergraduate degree.
- If I am a transfer student can I still participate in this program?
- University policy regarding 4+1 Programs state that students must complete at least 45 credit hours at Temple. Therefore, most transfer students will not be eligible for this program. If you have questions about your eligibility, contact the Director of Undergraduate Affairs and Student Services. Ineligible transfer students may apply directly to the Masters in Special Education program upon completion of their undergraduate degree.
If you have additional questions about this program, please contact:
S. Kenneth Thurman, Professor
phone: (215) 204-2117