Master of Education in Special Education (Ed.M.)
+ Special Education Certification (PreK-8):
Concentration in Applied Behavioral Analysis / Autism Spectrum Disorder
Considering a Master's in Special Education and Want to Get Started Now?: Space is still available for Fall 2013 admission! Completed applications received by June 1, 2013 are guaranteed a decision for Fall 2013! Apply today!
Temple's Master's in Special Education with a concentration in Applied Behavioral Analysis / Autism Spectrum Disorders enables students to work proficiently with the coherent system of concepts and principles of behavior analysis, preparing them for professional careers as education professionals in a variety of environment and for the Pennsylvania licensure: Special Education Teacher Certification (PreK-8).
Ed.M. in Special Education with Certification (30 semester hours)
Required Core Requirements (18 S.H.):
- SPED 5106 Literacy Instruction for Individuals with Disabilities (3 S.H.)
- SPED 5107 Understanding and Using Special Education Research (3 S.H.)
SPED 5108 Assistive Technology and Universal Design (3 S.H.)
SPED 5109 Classroom Management and Positive Behavior Support (3 S.H.)
- SPED 5187 Graduate Assessment Practicum in Special Education (3 S.H.)
- SPED 5211 Effective Instructional Strategies for Children with Disabilities (3 S.H.)
Concentration in Applied Behavioral Analysis / Autism Spectrum Disorders (6 S.H.)
- SPED 5301 Building Communication in Students with Autism Spectrum Disorder and Severe Disabilities (3 S.H.)
- SPED 5302 Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders: Effective Teaching Strategies (3 S.H.)
Practicum in Special Education (6 S.H.)*
- SPED 5587 Special Education Practicum (6 S.H.)
- Electives in Teacher Education (6 S.H.)
*Praciticum is required only of students who do not have one year of verified teaching experience with students with disabilities. A student who is not required to complete practicum will complete 6 semester hours in electives selected in consultation with his/her advisor.
All Candidates must pass the necessary PRAXIS exams to be eligible for Special Education Certification (PreK-8).
Special Note: Changes in Special Education Certification from PDE
After August 2013, the comprehensive kindergarten through 12th grade special education certification will no longer be issued by the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE), and will be replaced by separate pre-kindergarten through 8th grade and 7th through 12th grade certifications. Temple's preparation program serves students seeking the pK-8 certification. For more information on certification options, visit PDE at www.education.state.pa.us.