January 2017 Arrival and Orientation Information
For all incoming international students, please read the following information for specific arrival instructions. Note that all incoming students are advised to arrive on January 10th or 11th, 2017.
ARRIVAL INFORMATION FOR NEW UG INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS | JANUARY 2017
Temple University welcomes our new international students arriving in January 2017. The arrival procedure has been created to help transition new international students from outside of Philadelphia. A hotel close to the university has been reserved to centrally intake the new students
prior to transitioning to on-campus or off-campus housing. If you wish to make other arrival arrangements, you may do so. Please be advised that on-campus check in is limited to January 12th and off-campus housing check in is January 11 or 12 (week days 9AM – 5PM).
January 10 or 11
Arrive in Philadelphia and check into hotel.
Check out of hotel and check into off-campus housing (on-campus check in date is limited to January 12)
Check out of hotel and check into off-campus or on-campus housing,
Transfer Orientation and Academic Advising (transfer students are students who completed 15 credits)
Freshman Orientation and Academic Advising
First day of class
When should I arrive in Philadelphia?
· If your housing is ‘off-campus,’ you may arrive January 10 or 11. The next day, you may move into your off-campus housing.
· If your housing is ‘on-campus,’ you may arrive January 10 or 11 and check into your on-campus housing on January 12. On-campus check in is only available on January 12. If you arrive on January 10, you will stay in the hotel for two nights.
How do I get to the hotel from the Philadelphia International Airport?
· LaClass Ride Transportation from the airport can take you to the hotel from the airport. The cost is $15. Please call LaClass from the baggage claim area by dialing 15. A driver will meet you in the terminal by the phone. 10% - 20% tip is recommended.
· You may also take a taxi to the hotel. The cost is approximately $25. Cash and credit card are accepted. 10% - 20% tip is recommended.
· Note: If you arrive in JFK International Airport (JFK) or Newark Airport (EWR), you may register for a ride through http://www.davesbestlimoservice.com. $90 from JFK and $65 from EWR.
Which hotel will I be staying?
· Temple University established a special rate for new international students at Home2 Suites Hotel. The special rate is $140 ($119 plus tax), which includes breakfast and free internet. You may reserve your room online at
· The hotel address is 1200 Arch Street, Philadelphia.
· Note: If your plans change, please go online and change/update your reservation. You are responsible for payment.
How will I get to Temple University from the hotel?
· Temple bus will take you to campus to check into your on-campus or Temple are off-campus housing. This service is free.
Do I need to attend orientation?
· Yes. All new students must attend orientation. Freshman orientation and academic advising is all day on January 13th. Transfer orientation and academic advising is January 12th. Orientation completion is required prior to meeting advisors to select courses for spring semester. First complete these steps BEFORE signing up for Orientation: http://orientation.temple.edu/you-register-0. You will be provided instructions on Orientation Registration after completing these steps via your TUPortal.
What do I need to bring for immigration check in at Temple?
· You need to bring your passport, I-20, I-94 and SEVIS payment receipt. Immigration check in with International Student and Scholar
Services (ISSS) is mandatory.
Where do I eat during arrival and orientation?
· Some of the meals for the first few days of arrival are arranged by International Student Affairs, but some of the meals will be your responsibility. The hotel is near many restaurants and the Reading Terminal Market.
How much cash should I bring?
· For the first few days, you will need enough cash for taxi fare from the airport to the hotel, for several meals and your hotel stay. If you have a credit card, we recommend a minimum of $150. If you do not have a credit card, please bring $300 - $450, depending on the
number of nights you are staying in the hotel.
Contact information for International Student Affairs during arrival and check in:
Brooke Walker, Vice Dean of International Students and Leah Hetzell, Assistant Director of International Student Affairs will welcome the new
students at Home2 Suites Hotel on January 10 and 11. Call +1-215-204-9562 (special hours during arrival: 8:00AM – 10:00PM, January 9 – January
12) or email us at email@example.com.
To register for Undergraduate Orientation, please first complete the steps as outlined here: http://orientation.temple.edu/you-register-0
Information specifically for transfer students may be found here: http://orientation.temple.edu/transfer-students-0.
**Please be sure that you have your long term housing arranged before you arrive at Temple University. For information regarding the Spring 2017 on-campus housing selection process, please visit this website: http://housing.temple.edu/select-your-housing/spring-housing.**
If there are any questions regarding the January 2017 arrival process, please contact the Office of International Student Affairs at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 215-204-9562.
Complete Placement Assessments and New Student Questionnaire Prior to Orientation
All incoming freshmen and transfer students must complete (unless exempt) English and Math Placement Assessments before they arrive at Temple University. Both tests can be taken online. The link for the online Placement Assessments and New Student Questionnaire (NSQ) system will be emailed to you after you have submitted your deposit. The purpose of the Placement Assessments is to determine your level in the first year writing course and math course. The test must be taken without assistance from others and whatever the score, it will not affect your admission.
International Students Affairs
1124 Carnell Hall
1803 N Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19122