Information for Departments
Click here for a list of documents needed to be attached in International Scholar's Dossier for each immigration status
Please note that ISSS does not determine job titles (paid/unpaid) or salaries.
We are the final stage in facilitating the appropriate visa classification once the department has determined these factors and a prospective employee has been identified.
In general, ISSS recommends that non-employee individuals from abroad who will come to Temple to engage in research, lecture, etc. should enter the US as a J-1 Exchange Visitor. Our office has seen too many instances of individuals being turned away at the border when they try to enter with B-1/B-2 (Tourist) or WB/WT (Visa Waiver) status.
Contact Nina Campellone regarding Post Doctoral Fellows and Visiting Research Scholars.
Contact Faculty Affairs for information on hiring Faculty.
Contact your Department's HR Generalist to invite/appoint/hire anyone not listed above.
Appointing a foreign national to a position at Temple University can be accomplished only if both federal regulations and the University's own policies permit it. There are many considerations affecting whether a specific foreign national may be hired for a specific position at the University. If a foreign national is eligible to be appointed to a specific position at Temple, the University will serve as "non-immigrant visa sponsor" and will issue forms, file petitions with the USCIS, or submit other documents and applications as appropriate to the visa type being arranged. Read more information about various non-immigrant employment classifications.
Once a position/title has been established with the appropriate unit listed above, departments should contact (ISSS). Having the answers to the following questions will facilitate the immigration process:
- Is Foreign National currently in the United States? If yes, is Foreign National already employed by Temple University? If so, what is the foreign national's current job title?
- Type of position you wish to offer? If Faculty, is it a Tenure Track position?
- Minimum Degree Requirement for position?
- Minimum number of years of experience required?
- Term of initial Temple appointment?
- Expected starting date of appointment?
- Foreign national's country of citizenship?
- Has the potential employee applied for Permanent Residence (Green card)?
- Does the foreign national plan to travel abroad at any time in the near future? (This will affect both visa timing and procedure)
Contact Sharon Loughran for assistance with J-1 Scholars, H-1B Employees, E-3 Australian Speciality Workers and TN Temporary Workers.
Contact Martyn Miller for assistance with O-1 Workers