J-1 Exchange Visitors (Scholars)
Bringing in an individual in J-1 status may take anywhere from 2 to 4 months. Note that ISSS does not determine job titles (paid/unpaid) or salaries. We are the final stage in facilitating the appropriate visa classification once the department has determined these factors.. Appointing a foreign national to a position at TU can be accomplished only if both federal regulations and the University's own policies permit it.
Exchange Visitor (J-1) status is not appropriate for individuals who will:
- Engage in any position that does not require the minimum of a Bachelor’s degree;
- Hold tenure-track or tenured faculty appointments;
- Enter the US to participate in a medical residency program or engage in clinical activities (visit www.ecfmg.org for more info);
- Pass through the formal recruitment and hiring process with Temple University’s HR Dept; Nonimmigrant Worker (H-1B) status is appropriate for such cases;
- Pursue US Permanent Residency (Green Card).
- Professor (3-week minimum, 5-year maximum with 24 month bar on repeat participation – teaching, observing, lecturing)
- Research Scholar (3-week minimum, 5-year maximum with 24 month bar on repeat participation - conducting research, observing, or consulting)
- Short-term Scholar (no minimum, 6-month maximum, NO EXTENSIONS - 6 month bar on repeat participation - lecturing, conducting research, observing, or consulting)
- Specialist (3-week minimum, 1 year maximum but not subject to 24-month bar - observing, consulting, or demonstrating his/her highly specialized knowledge or skills)
Application Process for a DS-2019
1. Department Must Invite the J-1 Applicant in ISD by clicking on the Tasks Tab, then clicking the "Invite Visitor" option. Copy the following text into the e-mail:
Temple University’s International Student and Scholar Services Office (ISSS) will need information from you in order to process an immigration document for you. Please use only Internet Explorer (Version 11) or Mozilla Firefox (Version 27.0.1) to enter your information in International Scholar Dossier (ISD). Please type in (do not copy and paste) the password below when you are logging into the Visitor’s site.
Please visit our website at www.temple.edu/isss/international/DocumentsNeededToBeAttachedinISD.htm to determine which documents you will need to attach to your Visitor Record. You can upload your documents on the Documents tab.
Please e-mail me when you have completed and submitted your information in ISD.
Do not schedule a visa interview appointment at a US Embassy or Consulate until you receive your immigration document accompanied by specific instructions from ISSS.
2. Department Must Upload the Following Items to ISD:
- J-1 Checklist Indicating That All Required Items Are In ISD
- Properly issued and signed invitation/appointment letter for Faculty only (Post Doc office will send ISSS approved VRS and Post Doc letters)
- Incidental Patient Contact Letter for Foreign Medical/Health Profession Graduates (if applicable)
- UPS Airway Bill in PDF Format
- If any J-1 activity will occur at a non-Temple site, department must also attach a letter from the TU Department Chair which includes the following:
- Dates of Visit
- Nature of activities
- Site of activity, including full address
- How the J-1 activity will be closely tied to the Temple department’s on-
- going research projects/programs
- Relationship between the Temple department and the non-Temple site of activity
- Name and title of Temple faculty or PI who will supervise the J-1 program activity throughout the J-1’s stay in the US
- Funding arrangement
3. J-1 Applicant Must Upload the Following Items to ISD:
- Funding Documentation if Applicant Will Not Be Paid By Temple U (J-1 Applicant must show a minimum of $21000/year). Document ALL Funding Sources
- Letter from current employer stating whether J-1 Applicant will continue to receive her/his salary while in the US
- English Proficiency Documentation
- Copy of J-1 Exchange Visitor’s passport photo page
- Copies of J-2 dependents' passport photo pages if dependents will accompany J-1
- Copies of all previously issued immigration documents (issued by the U.S. Government ONLY)
- Recent CV
- Copies of original diplomas
- English translations if diplomas are not in English
- Proof of appropriate health insurance that covers the J-1 Applicant and any J-2 dependents that will accompany the J-1 Applicant from at least the start date to at least the end date that is listed on the Appointment Letter (see below for more details);
- Insurance compliance form (if insurance has been purchased from a company not listed at www.temple.edu/isss/general/insurance-companies.html)
4. Department must review all documents that J-1 Applicant has uploaded to ISD, including financial documentation and insurance coverage. Please note that the department should ask the J-1 Applicant if the insurance was purchased from one of the vendors listed on our website - if not, an insurance compliance form is required from insurance company.
5. When Department has submitted a complete application, including the required documents listed above, Department should submit ISD record to ISSS under the “Tasks” tab, “Review and Submit Visitor’s Information”
Health Insurance for J Exchange Visitors
Health Insurance is Mandatory for J-1 Exchange Visitors and any J-2 Dependents that will accompany J-1 to the United States. Temple University requires proof of insurance which meets the Department of State criteria prior to the issuance of any Form DS-2019. Insurance purchase dates must match dates on invitation / appointment letter. Discuss your J-1 program dates with your Temple University department PRIOR to purchasing insurance. If dependents will arrive after the exchange visitor, insurance may be purchased for them closer to their arrival in the US.
Visiting Research Scholars must purchase full health insurance. Names of suggested insurance companies are available here. If you have insurance coverage from a company not listed on our website, you MUST submit an Insurance Compliance Form to ISSS.
Postdoctoral Fellows and TU-Appointed Faculty ONLY need to purchase medical evacuation and repatriation insurance. Here is a list of some companies that provide this insurance. You may also purchase a policy from a different company of your choice.