SEVIS Record Transfer
An exchange visitor may transfer between programs as long as:
- S/he is maintaining J1 status with current program sponsor
- The purpose of the transfer is to complete the objective for which he or she was admitted to exchange visitor status and
- The exchange visitor remains within the same participant program category (you cannot change from J1 Student Category to J1 Research Scholar category)
EV should not terminate research/teaching activities with current program sponsor until SEVIS record has been released to Temple University.
EV should contact the Responsible or Alternate responsible Officer at her/his current school. EV should be able to provide him or her with a description of planned activities at Temple University. Current RO or ARO will determine:
- That the transfer is consistent with the goals of EV's exchange program
- That EV is currently maintaining status and
- That the transfer will not extend the exchange visitor's stay beyond the permissible time for EV's J-1 category.
If the RO/ARO at EV's current school requires Temple to complete a transfer form, please email/fax the form to the attention of Sharon Loughran, Immigration Services Specialist [email@example.com] or (fax) 215 204 6166.
ISSS CANNOT TRANSFER YOUR SEVIS RECORD IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED A
FAVORABLE WAIVER RECOMMENDATION FROM THE US DEPT of STATE
- You must be pursuing the same program objective at the new institution
- You must remain in the same J category (i.e. research scholar, professor, etc)
Before beginning the transfer process you should discuss your plans with the Immigration Advisor/Responsible Responsible Officer at both Temple University and the new institution. You will need to make a definite decision about the transfer and make sure that all the parties involved have agreed on the date of transfer.
In order for our office to transfer your SEVIS record to another institution, ISSS must receive:
- Email message from the J-1 Exchange Visitor stating:
- Your First and Last Name;
- The Name and Program # of new institution to which you wish to transfer;
- The Email address of J Scholar Advisor at the new institution;
- The Date that we should transfer your SEVIS record;
- Your field of research at the new institution; and
- That you have not received a waiver recommendation for the Two Year Home Residency Requirement from the US Department of State.
- Email message from your current PI/Faculty Mentor stating:
- Your last day at Temple University;
- That you will be continuing your original program objective at the new institution (i.e. you will be doing the same activity in the new institution that you are doing now at Temple)
Once our office receives these emails we will transfer your SEVIS record to the new institution.