Applicants Under Review
The following materials are required before an application will be placed under review:
- MCAT scores from 2012, 2013, and 2014. January 2015 scores will not be accepted for the 2015 application.
- Supplemental Application, which will help identify your particular interest in our School of Medicine.
- $75 non-refundable supplemental application fee. This fee will only be waived if approved for the AAMC FAP program prior to submitting the 2015 AMCAS application.
- Letters of recommendation from an undergraduate premedical committee, a packet from a school letter compilation service, or three (3) individual letters. If submitting a compilation packet or individual letters, two (2) letters must be from professors with whom you completed course work from the AMCAS course classification of Biology, Chemistry, or Physics. We welcome letters from research experiences, but they will not fulfill our science letter requirement. One (1) additional letter is required from a non-science professor, work experience, or service activity.
- Non-citizens with permanent resident or refugee/asylee status need to provide copies of all sides of the INS documentation when completing the supplemental.
- Applicants who indicated an institutional action on the AMCAS application are required to have a letter from the school where the infraction occurred sent to TUSM. We will only accept Institutional Action statements mailed directly to our office from the appropriate institutional official (Dean of Students, Judicial Officer, etc.). A statement about the Institutional Action in your pre-health committee letter does not meet our requirement.
Applications are considered complete and placed under review once the supplemental application, application fee, and required letters of recommendation have been received. Applicants who were the recipient of an institutional action will not be considered complete until the school statement has been received in addition to the materials indicated above. The Materials tab on TempleMedOnline should be monitored to confirm that which materials have been received in our office.
An individualized holistic review of each complete application includes a variety of objective and subjective factors. The academic record, the college attended, MCAT scores, recommendations, extracurricular activities, work experience, medically related experience, and community service activities are all taken into account when selecting candidates for interview. While not required, many students have participated in research activities.
There is no academic cutoff for consideration. The 2013 matriculants to TUSM had an average science GPA of 3.63, overall GPA of 3.68, and MCAT total of 31.57.
Candidates under serious consideration will be invited to interview in Bethlehem (for St. Luke’s Regional Campus) or Philadelphia (for all other campuses). It is not uncommon for students who are complete at the beginning of the application cycle to still be under review towards the end of the application cycle.
TUSM received over 11,000 applications for entering 2014 and reviewed applications through March. Applicants invited for interview are notified by email. Once we have completed review, those not selected for interview will be notified by email.