department of medicine
Section of Gastroenterology
A Message from Oleh Haluszka, MD
Chief, Section of Gastroenterology
Professor of Medicine
The Gastroenterology Section at Temple University Hospital is one of the nation’s most comprehensive centers for the diagnosis and treatment of digestive disorders, covering the full breadth of gastrointestinal diseases and hepatology. In addition to our varied clinical activities, we are committed to the education and training of physicians. We offer a three year fellowship that reflects the clinical activities of a large urban tertiary care referral hospital with the research opportunities provided by an outstanding faculty of recognized experts. Our large and varied clinical practice takes advantage of the peerless state-of-the-art facilities of our Digestive Disease Center equipped with the latest diagnostic and therapeutic technologies for the management of everything from complex motility disorders and pancreatico-biliary diseases, to small intestinal conditions requiring deep, device-assisted enteroscopy.
We offer the complete range of standard endoscopic procedures but have developed internationally recognized expertise in motility disorders and tertiary therapeutic endoscopy. Examples of areas of special note include:
- 24-hour and 48-hour (BRAVO) monitoring of esophageal and oropharyngeal acidity, 24-hour monitoring of esophageal motility, and 24-hour monitoring of esophageal bile reflux
- High resolution esophageal and anal motility
- Electrogastrography, antroduodenal motility, and scintigraphic techniques that can be performed simultaneously to evaluate esophageal transit, gastric emptying, and small intestinal and colonic transit
- Barrett’s esophagus management including endoscopic mucosal resection, and the full range of ablation technologies including radiofrequency and cryotherapy
- Tertiary ERCP including Spyglass, EHL, and post surgical (including post bariatric surgery) anatomy
- Diagnostic and therapeutic EUS including pseudocyst drainage and retrograde access to pancreatico-biliary anatomy
- Endoscopic resection of precancers and early cancers throughout the gastrointestinal tract
- Capsule- and device-assisted enteroscopy for complete small bowel examinations
- Stenting throughout the length of the gastrointestinal tract
- Consultation in liver disease and together with our surgical colleagues we offer a vibrant program in liver transplantation.
Our faculty are world-renowned for their expertise and research in gastrointestinal motility and new endoscopic technologies including novel imaging technologies like confocal endomicroscopy and optical coherence tomography. Our researchers are supported by grants from the National Institutes of Health, national associations and foundations, and private industry. Members of the section have been recognized regionally (Top Doctors, Philadelphia Magazine) and nationally (Best Hospitals, U.S. News & World Report). Recently we have expanded into offices in Center City and Fort Washington to facilitate easy patient access into our Center.
The Temple Gastroenterology Section possesses comprehensive expertise to address the full range of digestive disorders. We offer everything from routine cancer screening to the most sophisticated therapeutic endoscopic procedures in a caring and welcoming environment. Cutting edge research and state-of-the-art teaching enhance patient care at all levels, making this an outstanding resource for patients, referring physicians, and those seeking higher level medical training. The close interaction of our GI Section with multiple specialties ensures that patients benefit from the latest innovations in a true multidisciplinary approach.
I appreciate your interest and welcome you to explore our website to learn more about us.
Oleh Haluszka, MD
Temple University Hospital
3401 N. Broad St.
Philadelphia, PA 19140