about | Maps & Directions | contact | admissions | faculty | alumni & development | library | Tech Support Center | dean's office | Policies & Procedures

Center for Substance Abuse Research logo

center for substance abuse research

Educational Programs



Graduate Programs


For information on graduate programs, please click on the link below:


Biomedical Sciences Graduate Program

Graduate students working in CSAR laboratories are generally supported either by grants awarded to their faculty mentors or by a training grant in the Department of Pharmacology which is funded by the National Institute on Drug Abuse.



Postdoctoral Research


The members of CSAR are well funded with individual and collaborative research grants that have been awarded to their laboratories.  Most senior investigators in CSAR have postdoctoral fellows funded by their own R01 grants.  Prospective postdoctoral candidates are encouraged to look through the research interests and biographies of the faculty associated with CSAR and to directly contact potential mentors with whom they might like to work.  Note that there are no citizenship requirements for positions funded by research grants.


Postdoctoral fellows are also funded through a training grant in the Department of Pharmacology which is funded by the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA).  Some of the slots on this grant are available for candidates wishing to work in the areas of interest to CSAR and with faculty mentors who are members of CSAR.  The faculty members do not have to be members of the Department of Pharmacology.  Slots have been awarded to postdoctoral fellows working in laboratories in the Departments of Microbiology and Immunology, Anatomy and Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Physiology, Psychology, as well as Pharmacology.  To obtain one of these slots, you need to be proposed by one of the CSAR faculty members.  Should you wish to be considered for one of these positions, you should identify a faculty mentor whose work is of interest to you and contact that person directly.  Note that to qualify for a position on the training grant you must be a citizen of the U.S. or hold a Green Card.