eRA@TU has now moved to https://era.temple.edu/tu_login/login.asp
- NIH Adobe FORMS C Support 8/16/13
- Additional Updates in regards to Adobe FORM C support in eRA@TU 9/6/13
- Issue found after Adobe Form C patch 09/23/13
- The issue of F&A totals zeroing out has been resolved 9/30/13
- The Key Changes for Adobe Form C submission 9/30/13
NIH Adobe FORMS C Support 8/16/13
When do I need to use the updated FORMS-C?
Applications to FOAs with due dates on/after September 25, 2013 must use updated forms (FORMS-C), except:
- Career Development, Fellowship, and Training FOAs will transition to updated forms for deadlines on/after January 25, 2014.
- Small Business FOAs will NOT transition to updated forms until Small Business Reauthorization form changes are also available - timing TBD
Please refer to NIH NOT-OD-13-074 for the full announcement.
How will NIH transition from Adobe-Form-B to FORMS-C?
NIH has decided to take a two-pronged approach to migrating to Adobe C packages/schemas.
- Parent Announcements (e.g., Parent R01, R21, etc.) will be getting new opportunity numbers. For example, the old (Adobe-B2) Parent R01 is PA-11-260; the new (Adobe-C) Parent R01 is PA-13-302 (http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/parent_announcements.htm).
- All other funding opportunities will not get reposted with new numbers, but will have two packages/schemas for a while - both B2 and C packages/schemas will co-exist associated with the FOA until the transition date, September 25, 2013, after which time the B2 package/schema will be expired and cease to appear. Additional information has been posted by NIH here: http://grants.nih.gov/grants/ElectronicReceipt/faq_full.htm#find1 (see question #5).
- Fellowships, Training, Career Development and SBIR/STTR programs will be transitioning at a later date and we'll have to wait to see how that transition will work.
How does this affect eRA@TU PD Users?
- InfoEd is working to get the Adobe Form C support ready for release. We will send out the updates via eRA Listserv when it is ready to be used in eRA@TU.
- During this transition period (from now through September 24th), if you create the application in eRA@TU using the Adobe B2 Parent Announcements (e.g., PA-11-260) or any non-parent announcement funding opportunities, you will need to be careful that the appropriate sponsor is selected during PD proposal creation process because it will not correctly default to NIH for most NIH applications during this transition period.
- On/After September 25th, the correct sponsor default behavior should work normally again. This is a consequence of the varying approaches in use by NIH to effect this transition and the way InfoEd manages sponsor defaulting in PD using SPIN data.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding to your NIH proposal (S2S submission) built in eRA@TU, please feel free to contact us at eRA@temple.edu or 1-0450. Be sure to give details including proposal # and the program announcement. The eRA@TU team will be happy to support you.
To subscribe to eRA listserv send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, in the body of the email enter “subscribe era yourfirstname yourlastname” (no quotes)
To remove yourself from this listserv send an email to email@example.com In the BODY of the message simply enter “signoff era” (without the quotes) and you will be removed from the list.
Additional Updates in regards to Adobe FORM C support in eRA@TU 9/6/13
Currently, eRA@TU has not been patched for the Adobe C schema. The anticipated date of the Adobe C patch to be applied to our production environment is scheduled for 9/11/2013. We will send out further announcements via the eRA Listserv when it is ready and we will be posting the same information on the eRA@TU website:http://www.temple.edu/research/researchadmin/era/era_announcement.html
Note: Please click here to view the previous announcement regarding to NIH Adobe FORM C support.
Until the patch is applied and tested, you should use the Adobe B2 packages in PD to start applications, if it is available. Due to the nature of the changes, the impact on the proposal record data when switching from Adobe B2 packages to Adobe C packages can be expected to look like the following:
- Cover letter - if uploaded, will be lost (the upload location has moved to the face page)
- Face page - data should be retained
- Performance Sites - data should be retained
- Other Project Info tabs - data should be retained
- Budgets, including sub awards - data should be retained
- Key Personnel - data should be retained
- Research Plan - Uploads for Planned Enrollment or Cumulative Inclusion will be lost. There are new forms for data entry for this content, which will appear as S2S forms.
- Checklist page is being deprecated, with some questions moving to the Cover Page Supplement. Those questions will have to be re-answered in their new location.
S2S forms - all data will be lost for the following S2S forms and will require re-entry into the new version of the form:
- Career Development Award Supplemental Form
- PHS Fellowship Supplemental
- Training Program Plan
- Training Budget Subaward Attachment Form
In summary, after you switch to FORM C by re-selecting the funding opportunity on the setup questions page, you will re-enter all the data for the S2S forms. All other data will be retained unless the underlying form is being deprecated (e.g., cover letter, checklist).
For any NIH application where no B2 forms are available and are due on/after 9/25/2013, you must use Adobe FORM C. Thus, if you start a PD proposal for those submissions in eRA@TU before the FORM C is ready to be used, you will see the wrong submission template and incomplete mandatory forms on the submission package. At this point you should wait for the Adobe Form C package and NOT start the proposal in eRA@TU. Please pay attention to the up-coming announcements regarding the availability of Adobe Form C.
Issue found after Adobe Form C patch 09/23/13
After the Adobe Form C patch was applied to our PROD environment on 09/13/2013, we noticed a system issue on the F&A page where the F&A amounts you manually entered using manual lump sum by period option will be zeroed out. The issue has been reported to our vendor InfoEd on 9/16/2013 and a resolution has been identified. We are working with InfoEd in testing through several case scenarios to verify that the resolution is working properly on our TEST environment. Once the task is completed, we will request the resolution to be applied to our PROD environment to fix this issue. We will keep you posted when we have more updates.
Currently, the temporary workaround is to use other F&A calculation options. There are four more options that you can use to record the F&A amounts.
- Auto Predefined Scheme: using system predefined rate (ex. Org. Research On Campus - 55% or 56%).
- Auto Predefined Base/Rate: If the indirect costs rate different from currently approved Federal rate for your project, you can choose this option and manually enter the F&A rate to allow the system calculating the F&A amounts for each budget period.
- Auto (line-by-line): using system predefined rate for each line items.
- Manual Line by Line: it allows you to manually enter the F&A amounts for each line item.
The Key Changes for Adobe Form C submission 9/30/13
- Cover Letter Attachment: the cover letter question on the setup questions page has been removed and it no longer has its own tab. The Cover Letter has been moved to field # 21 of the SF424 (R&R) tab as an optional upload.
- Cumulative Inclusion Enrollment Report: it will be populated in the S2S tab when you select "yes" for the question "Will this proposal involve Cumulative Inclusion Report?". It was previously included in the Research Plan.
- Planned Enrollment Report: it has replaced the Targeted/Planned Enrolment Table which was previously included in the Research Plan. The Planned Enrollment Report will be populated in the S2S tab when you select "yes" to the question "Will your proposal involve the use of Human Subjects?".
- Subcontractor Budget Justifications: it is now a required upload in the Justifications tab of the Subcontractor Detailed Budgeting section.
- Submission Title Field: it has been added to the Setup Questions tab and it is not used for NIH S2S submissions nor is used for most other federal agencies. Primarily, it will be used for DoD/CDMPR proposals. The field is hidden for all the submission templates in eRA@TU. Only complete this field if the FOA required. The field can be displayed for entry by clicking on Show icon on top of the setup questions page.
The issue of F&A totals zeroing out has been resolved 9/30/13
InfoEd applied a few patches to resolve the issue of F&A totals zeroing out when entered using "Manual Lump Sum by Period" or entering F&A amounts on the "subcontractor F&A page". As a result of the patches and some technical reasons behind the scenes, there will be a new method "F&A Pop-Up icon" to input the indirect costs for proposals built with an electronic submission template. The base F&A entry field will be un-editable when the Pop-Up feature is displayed. You will select the Pop-Up icon to the left of the field to enter F&A information. The F&A Pop-Up feature will not be required for Temple Non-S2S submissions.
Below is a summary and examples with different scenarios:
- No change for Temple Non-S2S submissions
For ALL S2S submissions:
- S2S Submissions with R&R Budget which uses Manual (Lump Sum by Period) option, it will require using the F&A Pop-up to enter the indirect costs for each budget period.
- S2S submissions which include a subcontractor on the budget, it will require using the F&A Pop-up to enter the indirect costs for the subcontractor's F&A costs (Exception: For All S2S submissions that includes a Modular Budget with a Subcontractor, you will manually input the F&A amounts for the subcontractor on the Sub budget details page.)
- S2S submissions that include a Modular Budget, it will require using the F&A Pop-up to enter the indirect costs on the Modular Budget tab, not on the Budget > F&A tab (the base F&A entry field will be grayed out).
1: For Temple Non-S2S submission, there is NO change in the way we input the F&A amounts when using the Manual (Lump Sum by Period) option. You will manually input the indirect costs for the project or subcontract (if applicable) and then click on "Save" to save your changes.
[F&A for the subcontractor]
2.a: For All S2S Submissions with R&R Budget which uses Manual (Lump Sum by Period) option, it will require using the F&A Pop-up to enter the indirect costs for each budget period. Currently, ALL S2S submissions default to Auto (Predefined Scheme) option for the F&A calculation. Therefore, the change should not affect you unless you use the manual lump sum by period option. If you are using manual lump sum by period, once you select the F&A pop-up icon, you will enter the Indirect Cost Type, Rate, Base and then the system will calculate the Funds Requested amount for you. The funds requested can be distributed between sponsor and institution sources. The total amount must equal the "Funds Requested" total.
2.b: For All S2S submissions which include a subcontractor on the budget, it will require using the F&A Pop-up to enter the indirect costs for the subcontractor's F&A costs. (Exception: For All S2S submissions that includes a Modular Budget with a Subcontractor, you will manually input the F&A amounts for the subcontractor on the Sub budget details page.)
2.c: For All S2S submissions that include a Modular Budget, it will require using the F&A Pop-up to enter the indirect costs on the Modular Budget tab, not on the Budget > F&A tab (the base F&A entry field will be grayed out).
If you have any questions or concerns regarding to the new F&A pop-up feature in eRA@TU, please feel free to contact us at eRA@temple.edu or 1-0450.