SEMESTER/YEAR study abroad PROGRAM
The following instructions should answer most of your questions about application requirements and procedures, but if you require additional clarification, please contact us.
Eligibility is limited to those students who:
- are currently enrolled as full-time, matriculated undergraduate students at a U.S. institution and will have completed at least two semesters of college-level study
- have a satisfactory scholastic average (minimum 2.75 cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale from all colleges and universities attended).
- will undertake a full-time program of study at Temple University, Japan Campus, and will be applying credits earned toward a degree.
- are not on academic or disciplinary probation or warning.
Students will be selected mainly on the basis of their intellectual purpose and emotional maturity.
Admission Requirements for the
In addition to the application,
Architecture applicants must submit a portfolio of ten to
fifteen 8 1/2" x 11" color copies of studio work, clipped together. Your
portfolio should include samples of work done from several semesters, including
your most recent work. Do not submit originals (as the portfolio is forwarded to
Tokyo) or use binders or folders. Please be sure to label the portfolio with your
name, home institution, and major. You should also include an additional sheet
identifying each discrete image or project: nature of the design challenge,
length of time in studio, what year and semester, name of the critic, etc. The
portfolio should be sent directly to Education Abroad. No responsibility for the
portfolio can be assumed by Temple University.
Before Beginning an Application
Please review all program-specific information before beginning an application. All applicants are advised to discuss their plans to study abroad with their academic advisor. Non-Temple students should confirm study abroad procedures with their home institution before beginning an application.
Note: If you are a student interested in pursuing a degree at TUJ, you should apply directly through TUJ (not Temple University Education Abroad). For more information, please visit TUJ's Admissions Counseling web page.
- Online Application
Please click on the "Apply Now" link found on the right side of the page to begin your application. Temple students may log in using their Temple Accessnet username and password. All other students will be prompted to create an account. Once you receive your login and password information via e-mail, you may return to the login page to access your application and complete the required materials. See the browser requirements below if you are having trouble entering the application. Please note that at various points in the application process, notifications regarding your application will be sent to you via e-mail.
- Paper Application
As an alternative to the online appilcation, students may apply with a paper application. The paper application, along with further application instructions, may be downloaded from the right side of this web page. Students who apply with a paper application will submit all supporting application materials in hard copy to Education Abroad and will only be asked to login to an online account once accepted to the program.
Please note that the following submissions will be required.
Submissions for All Applicants:
- Two academic recommendations. One of these must be from a faculty member in your major discipline who has taught you in class. The other may be from another university faculty member who has taught you, or your academic advisor. Students applying online will request recommendations online, and the recommender will be notified via e-mail. The recommender will have the option of submitting your recommendation online or on paper. Please be sure to talk to him or her prior to requesting the recommendation online. Students applying with a paper application will provide the recommender with a paper recommendation form to fill out (included with application packet).
- All students applying to the Architecture program track: information
about additional submissions can be found in the Eligibility section above.
Additional Submissions for Non-Temple Students:
- Official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended to date. Please note that if you are applying earlier than the semester immediately preceding the program, your acceptance to the program may be provisional, pending receipt and review of an updated official transcript.
- Home College/University Approval Form indicating you have received approval from your home institution to study at Temple University, Japan Campus. This form should be completed by the official responsible for approving study abroad participation. Please complete the form and ask the official to return it directly to Temple University Education Abroad.
- $50 non-refundable application fee. Students applying online will pay by electronic check or credit card within the online application system. Students applying with a paper application must submit a check made payable to "Temple University."
- Signature Verification Form which, once received and processed, enables students to submit electronic signatures within Education Abroad's online system.
- Requirements for enrollment in art courses with prerequisites:
Non-Temple applicants are asked to submit a portfolio at the time of application, which is used to determine a student’s eligibility for advanced art courses. An acceptable portfolio should demonstrate achievement in the media for the courses to which the student is applying. The applicant is asked to submit a CD-R with jpeg files of works. No bulky shipments will be accepted, and the CD-R will not be returned. The portfolio should be sent directly to Education Abroad. No responsibility for the portfolio can be assumed by Temple University.
For online applicants: Detailed information about the submissions mentioned above will appear on your Program Home Page within the online application system. There are three types of submissions: material submissions (physical materials you will need to submit to Education Abroad), signature documents (documents that can be signed electronically and submitted online), and questionnaire forms (to be filled out electronically and submitted online).
For paper applicants: Instructions and application materials may be downloaded
from the right side of this web page.
For all applicants: All materials must be received by the deadline but may be submitted under separate cover. Applications are not reviewed until all supporting submissions have been received. Please see Application Deadlines below for more information.
All material submissions should be sent directly to:
200 Tuttleman Learning Center
1809 N 13th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19122
Accessing Your Program Home Page
To access your account and check the status of your application:
1. Click on "Login" in the upper right hand corner of www.temple.edu/studyabroad.
3. Select the link for your program application.
Students are encouraged to apply well in advance of the deadlines; completed applications are reviewed on a rolling-admissions basis.
Each semester has an application cycle that determines when we begin accepting online applications for that semester. To view these dates, please visit the Calendar section.
Completed applications, including all supporting submissions, must be received by April 1 for study in the fall semester and academic year, and October 1 for the spring semester program. The online application closes at 5:00pm Eastern Standard Time on the deadline date. Students attempting to apply online outside of this cycle by clicking the "Apply Now" link will find that the online application is unavailable and that their request to begin an application cannot be processed. Students interested in applying after the deadline should contact Education Abroad.
Note that if the online portion of an application is not complete by the deadline, the applicant will be locked out and unable to make any changes.
Students will only be allowed to continue or submit their applications after the deadline on a space-available basis. Students requesting to do this must contact Education Abroad and must be prepared to immediately submit the non-refundable $200 program deposit, which will be refunded only if the applicant is not accepted into the program.
Decision notification will be sent via e-mail to students within approximately two weeks of Education Abroad receiving your completed application and all supporting materials.
Confirm your participation. If you have been accepted, and have decided to participate, please click the “Commit” button on your Program Home Page. You must also submit a non-refundable deposit of $200 within two weeks of acceptance to confirm your participation in the program. This deposit is non-refundable and credited towards your fees.
Complete the pre-departure procedures as outlined on your Program Home Page. Your Pre-departure Page will be updated periodically until departure. You will be notified of these updates via e-mail. Please read all information carefully and pay close attention to deadlines.
BROWSER REQUIREMENTS FOR THE ONLINE APPLICATION
- Cookies must be enabled for your browser.
- Users of Microsoft Internet Explorer may see a prompt in secure areas of the site asking them to choose a certificate. To disable this prompt, please follow these steps:
- In Internet Explorer, go to Tools > Internet Options.
- In the Security section, click the Internet Zone icon, then click the Custom Level button.
- Under Miscellaneous, look for the setting "Don't prompt for client certificate selection when no certificates or only one certificate exists" and set to Enable.
- Click OK, then OK again.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer for Mac is not supported.
If you have any questions or technical problems, please contact us at 215-204-0720 or email@example.com.