Steps to Study Abroad on a Temple Program
Explore Your Options
Meet With Your Academic Advisor
Apply to the Program
After You Are Accepted
After You Return
EXPLORE YOUR OPTIONS & GATHER INFORMATION
After verifying that you are in good academic and disciplinary standing at Temple, you are ready to explore your options.
- If possible, attend an information session hosted by Education Abroad. See the News & Events section for dates and times.
- Come to Education Abroad (Tuttleman 200), and obtain program brochures with course descriptions. At that time, you can speak to a study abroad advisor and discuss what you’re looking for in a program.
- Inquire about scholarship opportunities. Both Education Abroad and other organizations award scholarships for academic year, semester, and summer study abroad. Pay close attention to eligibility requirements and scholarship deadlines.
- For further research, review our website.
- As a Temple student, all of your financial aid should be applied as normal to a Temple University study abroad program. However, institutional aid and scholarships may vary depending on the program and a student’s individual circumstances. If you are unsure about whether your institutional aid and scholarships will transfer to a study abroad program, set up an appointment with Student Financial Services.
MEET WITH YOUR ACADEMIC ADVISOR
- Meet with your academic advisor to review your degree and graduation requirements and to discuss your plans to study abroad. With careful planning, a period of study abroad should fit into your program and not delay progress towards your degree. Bring the program brochure(s) with you to go over courses that are offered on the program(s).
APPLY TO THE PROGRAM
- Once you have chosen a Temple program, you can start the formal application process. Be sure to read the application procedures for the program to which you are applying. Students applying to the Temple Rome and Temple Japan semester programs now apply online. At this time, students applying to all other Temple programs still submit paper applications, which can be downloaded from each program’s main web page.
- Complete the program application, and submit the supporting materials. We accept students on a rolling admissions basis and strongly recommend that students apply to programs early; programs may fill up before the official deadline.
AFTER YOU ARE ACCEPTED...
- Make sure you have completed the necessary forms and applications; check with Education Abroad if you're uncertain. If you have applied online for a Temple program administered by Education Abroad, you can login and check the status of your submissions on your Pre-departure Page.
- Be sure to thoroughly read any pre-departure materials, as these will give you important information and detailed instructions on proper documentation, housing and travel arrangements, and the pre-departure orientation.
- Get a passport, and check to see if you need a visa.
- Review travel books in the Education Abroad Resource Library, or purchase your own, and prepare yourself for the locale and for meeting the people.
AFTER YOU RETURN...
- Stay in touch! Visit the Alumni section of our web site, and request that you be added to the Education Abroad alumni listserv. We send out a few e-mails per month with information regarding future opportunities abroad, international photo and writing contests, special events, and ways to get involved in the study abroad community back at Temple.
- Share your experiences with other students at Temple by becoming an Education Abroad Student Ambassador. Student Ambassadors agree to volunteer at study abroad events and create a Student Profile for the Education Abroad web site. Contact Education Abroad for more details.
- Submit your best study abroad photos to Education Abroad. We are always looking for quality photos to use in publications, presentations, and on our web site. Visit the Alumni section for more information and submission guidelines.