glimpse from the window

Travel Documents



Student Visa



You will need a valid passport to study abroad. If you do not have a valid passport and are planning to participate in a study abroad program, or even just considering the option, we strongly suggest that you submit your passport application as early as possible. The process of obtaining a passport can take several months, and for many programs, you will need a passport in hand well before departure in order to apply for a visa.

U.S. Citizens can obtain a passport application and view procedures on the State Department’s Travel web site at

Temple University president Ann Hart and her husband Randy have established a scholarship intended to support the cost of passport fees for Temple undergraduate students who plan to study abroad. This scholarship is available to freshman and first-year transfer students. For more information, please visit



For long-term study abroad programs (semester and year) and some summer programs, you will need a student visa to study abroad. The visa is stamped inside of your passport and must be obtained before you leave to study abroad. The visas are obtained through the appropriate foreign consulate or embassy, which are located in the United States.

Obtaining a visa can be a lengthy and detailed process, so it is important that you begin this process as early as possible. In many cases, the visa process begins immediately after you are accepted to the program, so it is important to have your passport when you apply to the program. Students who already hold a passport should check the expiration date, as your passport must be valid for a minimum of three months or up to a year beyond the end of your stay in the host country in order to obtain a visa.

Besides needing a passport, there are other supporting documents you will need to apply for a visa. All countries have different regulations. The current world situation has caused governments all over the world to revise their immigration requirements. Whether you are an international student who wants to study in the United States, or a U.S. student who wants to spend a semester abroad, it is very important to have proper documentation. Students must take great responsibility in submitting all visa application materials in a timely fashion. Dealing with a foreign consulate in the United States is often a student’s first exposure to the new culture, and therefore, is an important learning experience.

If you are participating in an Education Abroad study abroad program, our office will assist you in applying for a student visa. For students studying on other programs, often the program you are applying through will assist you in obtaining a student visa.

If you are not student a U.S. citizen, we recommend researching visa requirements for the country you are planning to travel to as early as possible since there may be additional requirements. In addition, non-U.S. citizens should confirm their entry and exit requirements for the U.S. with immigration officials.